Tuesday 20 March 2012

Evening in my garden

I was home from work a little earlier than normal this evening so I thought I would try popping the nets up for an hour. I only caught two birds, both female greenfinches, another new species for the garden. I have to admit to finding the ageing of them a little tricky. I think the first was an adult bird due to its tail being quite broad and the primary feathers being in pretty good nick; however, the shape of the 5th tail feather looked more like the juvenile shape in Svensson. This bird had a brood patch starting. 

Adult wing?
Adult tertials?
Adult tail?
Brood patch starting
The second bird I am pretty confident was a first year bird due to a feint fault bar on the tail, thin tail feathers and poorer quality primary feathers.

First year tail with faint fault bar (doesn't show up very well on pic)
First year tertials?
First year wing?
If anyone can confirm my ages from the photos, or has an alternative theory, please leave me a comment.

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment