Sunday 29 April 2012

Recent ringing exploits

So last weekend the weather looked as though it may play ball and allow me to get the nets up for a while on Saturday. I managed one hour before the rain started! And, in that hour, only two birds decided to pay the nets a visit. The first was an adult robin. For once, an easy one to age. The second bird was a female starling...not so easy to age! I ended up putting it down as a 4.




On Sunday I joined the South Notts Ringing Group for the last session at the Granby fridge experience - the details of which can be found on their blog here:  http://southnottsringinggroup.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/granby-sunday-22-april.html

After this, we went to check some tawny owl boxes in the Newark area. It is wonderful to be able to see this species close up and we were lucky enough to find some ringable chicks and one beautiful unringed adult.

Sleepy mum
Chilled out baby tawny owl
No chance of any ringing this weekend due to the high winds and rain. Instead, on Saturday, I went over to Clifton Grove to try to see some of the 47 wheatears that had been reported there on Friday. Unfortunately, I only managed one! However, I did hear a cetti's warbler and see a marsh tit which made the visit worthwhile.

Now, anyone know where the stop cock is for the rain tap?

Ruth 

No comments:

Post a Comment